Welcome back to another episode! Today on the podcast we are talking with Matt Morris of Morris Storage Solutions, a company where Matt and his crew build small portable storage buildings from scratch.
Not only is Matt a business owner but he is also the pastor of a church, a husband and a dad. On today’s show we mostly talk about small business, small family businesses in particular. Matt shares his experience with us and we hear how he keeps his family business thriving while simultaneously taking care of everything and everyone else in his life.
We also dive into talking about staffing problems, making money with a service-based business, deciding whether being a business owner is right for you, and knowing when you can’t do any more than you’re already doing.
So if you are at some of these crossroads in your business or life, then this episode is going to help you make the right decision for you. So tune in and keep listening to hear more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Matt tells us where he is doing the interview from and shares about his business. (01:35)
- How Matt got into the business. (04:50)
- Matt tells us how he met his wife in church and tells us about their life together. (09:15)
- Find out how Matt got involved at the church and became a preacher. (12:50)
- Understand how Matt balances business and faith. (14:34)
- From storage building to welding services and running a service-based business. (16:40)
- Employing and retaining people in a service-based business (staffing problems). (21:33)
- Why people don’t quit jobs - they quit bosses. (25:57)
- Becoming a business owner and doing your own thing versus working for a boss. (28:38)
- Matt’s reasons for starting his own business. (30:32)
- Hear more about the portable storage buildings from Morris Storage Solutions. (36:55)
- Uses for storage buildings. (39:42)
- Customizing the buildings for customers needs. (42:08)
- The importance of not taking on a lot of debt and being a business man with an entrepreneurial spirit. (44:31)
“We work and pull together.” — Matt Morris [0:11:38.1]
“There are customers sometimes that you’re never gonna please - doesn’t matter what you do.” — Matt Morris [0:15:34.1]
“People don’t quit jobs, they quit bosses.” — Matt Morris [0:25:57.1]
“Don’t take on more than you can.” — Matt Morris [0:37:14.1]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Morris Storage Solutions on Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/morrisstorage/
Morris Storage Solutions on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/morrisstorage/.
Industrial Tradition — https://industrialtradition.com/
Industrial Tradition on Youtube — https://www.youtube.com/c/austinandkayla
Industrial Tradition on Twitter — https://twitter.com/industrial_trad
Industrial Tradition on Instagram —https://www.instagram.com/industrial_tradition/
How to Win Friends and Influence People — https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034/